Adapted from www.feastingathome.com
Portuguese Roast Chicken
00:20 Prep | 01:00 Cook | Serves 4
- 1 Whole Chicken (approx 1.5kg) Or sub chicken pieces
- 750g brushed potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 Dried Ancho Chilies-re-hydrated
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 bunch Cilantro – finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt flakes
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- Cracked pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Preparation: 20min › Cook: 60MIN › Ready in: 1HR 20min
- Preheat oven to 210°C (190°C Fan-Forced)
- Rehydrate dried chilies in small pot of boiling water on the stove for 20 minutes.
- Butterfly the chicken (if you are keeping whole, add 30 minutes to cook time) or ask our friendly butchers at the time of purchase to butterfly for you.
- Make the marinade by blending the marinade ingredients into a paste with a blender or food processor. Brush a layer of marinade on the bottom of your baking pan.
- Place the thinly sliced potatoes on top of the marinade and sprinkle with a generous pinch of kosher salt.
- Brush all sides and crevasses of the chicken with the marinade, coating fairly heavily. (You will add more marinade during cooking, so be sure to save the remaining.)
- Place chicken, skin side down on the potatoes and place in the oven.
- Turn chicken over after 15 minutes, and place back in the oven. After 10-15 minutes, brush more marinade all over the chicken on the skin side, really lathering it up. Return to the oven and bake until cooked through another 15-20 minutes, or until leg/ thigh reaches internal temperature of 180 F. To crisp the skin and get it deeply brown, broil for a few minutes. A little char is good here.
- Remove chicken when done and let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
- While chicken is roasting, combine Cilantro Sauce ingredients together, either in a bowl- mixing by hand, or in a food processor. Serve cilantro sauce on the side.
- Cut chicken into pieces and serve.
Make it a pack
Do you love eating easy, healthy meals? Our value packs are perfect for a growing family! In addition to our 5 meals for $50 packs - we have a fantastic range of ready to ship value packs, order yours online today!